Monday, January 09, 2006

I'm going to get up at 5:30 in the morning, and meditate, do some yoga, and then sit down and churn out several chapters of thoughtful and salient prose before running around the resevoir in Central Park, after which I will enjoy a bowl of homemade muesli in front of the windowsill as I watch the sun rise over the alternate universe in which I might get around to doing such a thing.

But, seriously - tomorrow I am getting up early. Mark my words. I'm going to do all the stuff I've been meaning to do for the past month/decade. I'm going to write meaningful handwritten letters to long-lost friends, on paper that I fashion by hand from colorful scraps of paper that are already lying around the house. This would take about 1/203344th the amount of time I spend developing an ulcer and biting myself (it's a thing) over not ever keeping in touch with people due to lack of artistic homemade stationary.

The thing is, the longer you wait to write letters, emails, etc. the more perfect and delightful they really have to be, to make up for their lateness.

This is one reason why I still haven't finished writing the thank you notes for our wedding gifts. The ones I've put off are the those for which I wanted to write an extra-special note to express my gratitude.

A haiku:

asparagus tongs
grasping the delicious stalks
I want to eat them.


I decided that if I could churn out an actual sonnet for each gift, the lateness would be forgiven. Unfortunatley, here's not much that rhymes with "3-speed blender." Maybe a limerick? Heck, if I could churn out a villanelle - that would so trump the whole late thing.

Regardless, I'm going to get up early in the morning and do stuff. Paul laughs as I say that, because, of course, I say it every night, and every morning I sleep until 8:15 and then eat breakfast while showering and getting dressed, all at the same time. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results. Although, technically, I think the clinical definition of insanity has something to do with writing a haiku about aspargus tongs.

4 Comments:

Blogger Monique said...

I can totally relate to everything you said, but more importantly, you wrote about it so well!! If you are half as literate in your thank you notes, you'll be fine. How late is late, anyway? We had some extreme lateness in our own wedding thank yous. Months. And months. And months. But that was years ago so I'm sure we've been forgiven by now.

And personally, I loved the asparagus haiku. :)

2:19 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

"I'm Going to Get Up at 5:30 in the Morning, and Meditate, Do Some Yoga, And Then Sit Down and Churn Out Several Chapters of Thoughtful and Salient Prose Before Running Around the Resevoir in Central Park" -- If that's not the perfect title for your forthcoming book of memoirs, I don't know what is.

Sincerley,
The Husband

9:46 AM  
Blogger Gypsy said...

what he said about what i said and then what he said once more.
also, i'm glad to see the asparagus tongs thread has resurfaced; what a perfect golden calf for marriage in the modern age.
also, it sounds like All That - marriage- is going very well - acts of God and bloggable mishaps notwithstanding. congratulations for discovering hard work that was actually worth it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Anyanka said...

Ack. We still haven't sent your wedding present. But we'll be in NYC next week. Perhaps we can tide you over with a cocktail or two? - Z + N

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home