Friday, June 02, 2006

Maybe it's time to drink less coffee...

Yesterday, I had a crazy, splitting headache all day. The kind where you can't even see straight. An extreme version of the coffee-withdrawal headache (if you're a coffee drinker), only, in the extreme. My head hurt all night despite many Advil and even some bizarre, expired headache medicine, the kind you get at rural truck stops, that Paul had in the cabinet.

So, naturally, I assumed I had a brain tumor. Which is generally the conclusion I rush to any time I have a headache/stomach ache/shin splints, etc.. It's always a brain tumor.

I'd ruled out the coffee thing, because I'd had three coffees - the expresso from the divine little Nespresso machine which, for weird reasons, happens to live in my cubicle.

The thing is, they recently got a new box of pods for it, and I asked, very specifically, are these caffinated? To which they said, but of course! So I believed them. I had three coffees yesterday, but it didn't do any good.

Today, one of my co-workers pointed out that the brown capsules are decaf. ARRRRRGGgggggh!!!!

Time to drink less caffeine.

Today I've pledged to myself to spend the whole day doing actual work-related work. This week I've been busy doing freelance work writing campaign letters for some politicians in Brooklyn, which is really entertaining. The only problem is, they don't seem to like it when you use Republican-style tricks to co-opt language. For instance, for a candidate running against an incumbent who has run un-opposed for many years, saying, like the leaders of corrupt, totalitarian nations, X. is accustomed to his being the only name on the ballot.

You don't say that he's actually like a leader of a corrupt totalitarian nation in terms of policy, tendencies towards genocide, etc. Just the irrefutable fact that - like those leaders, he's usually the only name on the ballot. In the way that you don't say that Saddam Hussein is responsible for 9/11 (because there's no evidence whatsoever that that this is even remotely the case), you just mention the two in the same sentence so many times that the become inseparable in that limited region of the brain that people use to process information that is not related to "American Idol."

As I'm learning, the problem is that progressive Democrats don't want to say anything that could be "misleading." Or "not nice." Which, arguably, and unfortunately, is why they don't win.

Even though it's all for candidates I'd vote for myself, after writing the letters I kind of wanted to take a bath. Politics & sausage, as they say ...


3 Comments:

Blogger Jolynn said...

Why would they make decaf at work? Why would they do something so horrible and wrong?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Yeah, I got punked! I expected to see Ashton Kutcher jump out with a camera or something. What's the point of coffee without caffeine, anyway?

12:08 PM  
Blogger Sh! eelag hnaGig said...

I gave up caffeine and artificial sweeteners a year ago, and it was a certain kind of smoldering hell for a while. But I'm much better now...and opening a bookshop and café. D'oh.

1:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home