Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Franny and Seymour

This weekend, P and I adopted two very cute kittens, a brother and sister. Just in time, some nice Australian lady invented this.

Good English major nerds that P and I both are, we of course named our cats after characters from Salinger stories. Yes, it was Franny and Zooey, but, as a close reading of the Cliff's Notes reveals, Seymour was also Franny's (older, suicidal) brother. Franny's other other brother was Buddy, the narrarator & moral arbeiter , ahem, of the tales. But having grown up in Jacksonville, I have known far too many people by the name Buddy, although none of them were moral arbiters. Mostly they were exterminators, local politicians, or kids who pulled tails off geckos for fun. Which Salinger's Buddy might have done as well, although it is never overtly stated in the text.

I would post picutres of the kittens, but I'm not sure how to do so, much in the way that I don't know how to make "links" on the sidebar to other blogs, as every time I attempt to do I seem to erase the "comments" feature from the blog, which frustrates the readers of this blog. Both of them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

That cat looks like Francis Bacon painted a screaming cat with dish suds shooting out of his rear-end.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Didn't "Screaming Cat with Dish Suds Shooting Out of Rear End" recently sell at Sotheby's for, like, a fortune?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jolynn said...

That is the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. When I clicked the link my computer was slowly making it's way to the article and I'll I could see was a heading that read something like 'plastic potty helps pussy pee'or something similar. Regardless I was a little afraid of what I would find and rightly so. :)

6:47 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

It does seem rather like some particularly twisted fetish site, doesn't it?

7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home