Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Voice Mail Anxiety Disorder (VMAD)

It seems that I've developped a telephone phobia. Okay, not the telephone, really, so much as a Fear of Voice Mail. You see, I haven't checked my voice mail since mid-April. Seriously.
I've also been avoiding calling anyone who might have left a message for me since that time, because, clearly, that's the most mature way of handling the situation.

I spend at least 37% of my waking hours worrying about this. "Why don't you just check your voice mail?" You ask.

Oh, you simplisitic solution-having types, thinking you know it all ... That's like telling a person in a jail cell to just walk out, assuming the jail cell isn't actually locked.

Okay, so you may have a point. But that's beside the point.

So, the longer I put off checking my voice mail, the more dreadful I imagine it being. I don't know why. It's not like anyone ever even calls me on my cell phone. This could be for many reasons, such as the fact that I have no friends. Which is perhaps in part because I never call anyone back. Although some devoted folks keep trying. They really want that June payment, bless their hearts.

Does anyone else ever do anything like this? Back when I had a therapist, she told me that it was "perfectionism" (there might have been some other, more disconcerting acronymns tossed around in the same context, but let's not focus on that).

I like to blame it all on my parasites. Or maybe that strep infection I had as a child, which caused some sort of permanent brain retardation. OR - in an ironic twist - maybe it's radiation from the cell phones? Or maybe it's because I was marginalized as a child, because I was a middle-class WASP who never experienced any great trauma other than a series of remarkably bad haircuts in the mid-80s? Or, worse yet, what if it's all due to my own poor choices, which I must now "take responsibility" for?

Fortunately, the entire psycho-pharmaceutical industry is betting against that last bit ringing true. I'm pretty sure they make some hot-pink pill for Voice Mail Anxiety Disorter (V-MAD). You didn't know it existed, or that you had it, but you'll be relieved to know you're not alone.

But, seriously - if either of the people who read this blog has left a voice mail for me since early spring, I just wanted you to know: it's not that I don't like you, or don't want to talk to you. I don't (don't don't like you, that is). And I don't don't want to talk to you. I do (don't?). It's just that I'm crazy.

But then again, you probably already knew that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jolynn said...

It's weird you don't check voice mail. But I understand the not having friends thing. I check my voice mail, but never return calls. I'm not sure which is worse.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Sh! eelag hnaGig said...

Your getting VMs is proof that people want to talk to you. Try being Mollie-No-Messages for a day. Then you might appreciate what you have...

1:13 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Except that the folks who "want to talk" tend to be my good friends from Citibank, wanting to shoot the breeze about that credit card payment I forgot to mail.

But, at any rate, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't return calls in a timely manner. And yes, comingundone, it's exactly that! Kind of like how kids do the ears/eyes closed "I can't hear you! I can't hear you!"
Only SO much more mature, because it involves satellite-based electronics ...

7:31 AM  
Blogger Shericat said...

I totally get the denial, and funnily enough, I have also gotten the spiel about it being an off-shoot of perfectionism. It's worked out pretty well actually, now when my boss asks where the hell that monthly report is she asked for two weeks ago, I simply explain that I have not been able to start on it because I'm not completely, 100% confident that it will be Nobel prize winning material, which it must be, because I'm a perfectionist!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Yeah, maybe we can claim Perfectionism Affective Disorder (PAD)and somehow get on disability?

1:19 PM  
Blogger S4S said...

This is me, to a T. I am so glad I'm not alone! (Isn't that funny, how that makes us feel better...)

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home