Saturday, November 11, 2006

What have you been up to lately?

The other day, April called. "So, what have you been up to, lately?" she asks.

An innocent question.

"Ohmigosh, I've just been SOooooooo busy!" And, up to that point, I had totally convinced myself that this was true.

"Doing what?"

"Well, uh ... you know." I thought and thought, but nothing leaped to mind. "Work, and ... well... I drew half a monster! Which took at least several minutes."

Do you ever stop to make a list of everything you've done for the past day/week/decade, etc., and struggle to come up with more than 3 things that don't involve personal grooming? Or drawing the bottom halves of monsters?

Let's see ... what have I been up to? Does growing an ulcer over not checking messages/emails count? Or worrying about not going to the gym/not writing thank-you letters, not winning the Prix Goncourt, etc.?

In other words, can you count all the things you're NOT doing ? If so, I'm stoked.

True, work is busy, but it's not like I work all that late (the French frown upon it) -- rarely past 6 p.m. Nor am I involved in any extreme sports, nor volunteering for charity, or frequenting underground fetish clubs. No real social life to speak of (note to self: perhaps should look into underground fetish clubs, if only for the outings).

So where does the time go? I do floss regularly, but that's almost certainly "personal grooming" ...

As something of a personal credo, I've always avoided any and all activities that could be described as a "hobby." The whole concept of hobbies has always struck me as unbelievably creepy. Especially the ones that involve Hobby Glue. It brought up images of weird middle aged dudes in basements creating scale replicas of world monuments out of tounge depressors. Which is depressing, and not just for tounges.

That's when it occured to me: I haven't been busy -- I've just been sitting around the house watching a lot of TV. I can admit this to April, but never would to most people. Except, of course, anyone with access to the Internets.

Disspelling the myth of busy-ness (busitude?) has been kind of depressing. But it gets worse - I started thinking about what I've been watching on TV. This is where the story gets ugly.

To be continued ...

2 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that's how I feel about work. I'm always busy but I don't know why or how or doing what. It might possibly be from all the visiting I do, but I'll never be able to say for sure.

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home