Friday, February 23, 2007

Pow Pow! POW!

As I write this, Paul and his friend Brian are sitting on the couch playing games on the XBox 360.

Yes, they are both in their 30s ...

POW POW! Pow. POW!

As background music, the game features some sort of pseudo/electronic hip-hop music (think: what's in Sonic the Hedgehog's iPod...).

It's kind of quaint to watch two ultra-liberal Manhattanites (did I mention "in their 30s?") spend an evening shooting underpriviledged black and Latino kids. Ahem, "gangstas."

"But ... but... my character is black, so it's okay!!! Right? "

(A look of angst as Paul weighs Social Concience against Entertainment Value of game... )

"Oh, for god's sake, I'm a card-carrying member of the ACLU!!!"

POW POW! Pow. POW!

Alas, "Entertainment Value," like the Devil, is the victor every time.

On the upside, Paul has promised not to make fun of me for purchasing ridiculously overpriced cosmetics and/or underwear and/or self-help books ... So I guess it's a reasonable trade.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jolynn said...

I have tried to sit down and play those games, but I can not figure out the fascination. And maybe it's because I suck and can never get past the first level, but I usually lose interest after a about a half hour.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In all fairness:
I have tried shoe shopping and handbag shopping, but cannot figure out the fascination that those of the female pursuasion seem to have with it.
After about half an hour, I start losing my will to live and questioning my very existence and its meaning.
Before this existential angst becomes full-blown despair, however, I make a beeline to the nearest exit, open the door, stumble outside and breathe fresh air again...ahhh...

But it's possible I just suck at shopping - which anyone who saw me back in 'the day' with my red kenneth coles can probably attest to....doh!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Yeah, those games are completely ridiculous...but if it keeps him quiet, I won't complain!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home